Exams & Grading

Grades

Your grade for the course will be based on your homework and performance on exams:

• Homework - 30%
  • Midterm Exam - 20%
  • Final Exam - 25%
  • Final Paper - 25%

Incomplete “I” grades are almost never given. The only justification is a documented serious medical problem or a genuine personal/family emergency. Falling behind in this course or problems with workload on other courses are not acceptable reasons. If you are concerned about your standing or ability to pass the class, please talk to me sooner rather than later.

Exams

There will be one midterm and a final exam at the following times:

Midterm, 75 minutes.
Wednesday, March 2.
Location: In Class.
Final Exam, 90 minutes.
Tuesday, May 3, 8:30am
Location: In Class

The Final Exam is comprehensive covering material from the entire semester.

Makeup exams. Makeup exams will only be offered when there is a documented medical problem or family emergency. Don’t come to an exam sick, but do (a) complete Dr. ChatBot and go to UHS and (b) email me as soon as something comes up.

Final Paper

The final paper will be on a topic of your choice related to course material, and will include multiple rounds of outlines and drafts before submitting your final version. The requirements, schedule, and list of possible topics can be found here.

Old Exams

For your study, exams from previous semesters are posted below. The following only provide a collection of example problems and will not match exactly which material or book sections will be on our exams. I will clarify before each midterm what sections will be covered.

Studying these exams alone is not sufficient. You should consult your class notes, the text, webwork, as well as the optional book problems on the course schedule.

Study Guide

Old midterm exams for practice

Old final exams for practice